What it does:
Blackmores Lutein Defence is an antioxidant formula containing lutein and zeaxanthin, which may help defend against free radical damage to the macula - Helping you to protect against free radical damage in the macula.
- May help to maintain a healthy macula
- Contains antioxidant nutrients that may help defend against free radical damage in the macula
- May help defend against changes to the macula by reducing oxidative damage
- A percentage of sales from Lutein Defence supports the MD foundation
- The eye is constantly exposed to the effects of light and oxygen and it has been suggested that lutein and zeaxanthin may have antioxidant activity in the eye.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin are the only two carotenoids found in the retina and are highly concentrated in the macula where they form the macular pigment.
- The macula is the area at the centre of the retina and is responsible for providing acute central vision. Our ability to read, recognise faces, see fine detail and drive, all rely on the macula.
- Inside the eye, lutein and zeaxanthin help to filter blue light and may help to protect the macula from light induced damage.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin may also help to scavenge free radicals in the eye.
- The body cannot produce lutein or zeaxanthin so they must be obtained from the diet.
- Blackmores Lutein Defence is an eyes formula containing both lutein and zeaxanthin that may assist with the support of healthy eye function.
What is in it?
- Marigold (lutein) and Zeaxanthin - Lutein and zeaxanthin are carotenoids found in the human eye. The highest concentration is found in the macular area of the retina. The macula is responsible for central and colour vision. Our ability to recognise faces, read, drive, see colours and contrast are all dependent on a healthy macula. They are also present in the lens .
In the macula, lutein and zeaxanthin form a layer of yellow pigment called the macular pigment, which serves as an effective natural filter of the most damaging light (near-to-UV blue light) that reaches the retina .
Human studies suggest that supplements containing natural lutein and zeaxanthin esters may increase the density of the macular pigments . Higher macular pigment density is associated with healthier eyes and the retention of visual sensitivity.
In addition to absorbing potentially harmful blue light, lutein and zeaxanthin also function as antioxidants and may help reduce the risk of age-related macular damage by decreasing the cumulative effects of oxidative damage to the retina and lens
Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.
Discount Natural Health Products